Fast, Friendly, Free Case Evaluation


Send Your Message

Why Hire a McAllen & Harlingen Personal Injury Lawyer

4900 West Expressway 83, Suite 200

McAllen, TX 78501

(956) 415-0000

Residents of the Rio Grande Valley are familiar with the amount of private vehicle and commercial trucking traffic moving in both directions across the U.S. – Mexican border. Although the traffic record of border-crossing vehicles is remarkably good, there will always be accidents involving both private and commercial traffic. On this page, the personal injury and accident lawyer at the Doan Law Firm gives an overview of why you will need the services of an attorney if you happen to be involved in a “cross-border” vehicle accident.

Personal Vehicles Leaving or Re-entering the U.S.

For a vehicle that is registered in Mexico to enter the United States, the owner of that vehicle must present the following documents at an approved Point of Entry:

  • A valid driver’s license issued by a Mexican state
  • Proof of vehicle ownership
  • Proof of liability insurance that is valid in the United States

Although not required by law, if the vehicle belongs to a friend or relative and is being loaned to the driver, the driver may need to furnish proof that he or she is has the owner’s permission to be in possession of the vehicle.

Commercial Vehicles Leaving or Re-entering the U.S.Harlingen and McAllen Personal Injury Lawyer

If a commercial long haul vehicle (e.g. tractor-trailer rig) is registered in Mexico, it can legally enter and operate in the U.S. if:

Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportesnot

  • The vehicle complies with all federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations regarding maintenance, mandatory vehicle safety inspections, as well as maximum vehicle weight and length restrictions.
  • The vehicle is insured by an insurance company that is authorized to conduct business in both Mexico and the U.S and a copy of the vehicle’s “proof of insurance” certificate can be presented on demand.
  • The driver has a commercial vehicle operator’s license (CDL) with the appropriate endorsements for the type of vehicle the driver operates and the commercial driver’s license is issued by Mexico’s Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes (SCT). A CDL issued by an individual Mexican state is not recognized by the U.S.

Once inside the U.S., drivers must follow all Department of Transportation regulations regarding “on duty” hours, the handling of hazardous materials cargo, vehicle breakdown, and post-accident safety measures.

Accidents Involving Cross-Border Vehicles

Following any motor vehicle accident, the drivers of both vehicles have certain responsibilities:

  • They must insure that anyone suffering an injury receives medical attention as soon as is possible.
  • They must preserve the accident scene, if possible.
  • They must cooperate with law enforcement and follow instructions at the accident scene.
  • They must exchange their respective driver’s license and insurance coverage information, including the name of their insurance carrier and policy number. They must also give this information to the investigating officers.

The above instructions are not meant to cover every possible accident situation. They do, however, represent all that you are required to do by law. Should you feel that you are being pressured to do anything beyond simple cooperation with law enforcement, you should state that you wish to consult with your attorney before providing any further information.

Why You Need an Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer from the Doan Law Firm of Harlingen and McAllen

Accident and personal injury law involving “cross-border” issues can be complicated. This is particularly true in cases of accidents involving Mexican nationals operating their personal vehicles inside Texas or accidents involving trucks that are owned by Mexican corporations.

If you have been involved in an accident involving a Mexican-owned commercial truck, or with a Mexican national operating a personal vehicle inside Texas, you should contact the Doan Law Firm of Harlingen and McAllen to review the legal options that may be available to you.

At the Doan Law Firm, our personal injury and accident lawyer is familiar with both the Texas state law regarding accidents involving foreign nationals as well as any federal regulations that apply to commercial trucking operations that operate in the U.S. but are based in Mexico. We understand the “ins and outs” of negotiating a fair settlement of your injury and damage to personal property claim.

When you contact the Doan Law Firm by telephone at (956) 415-0000, your initial consultation is always free and does not place you under any obligation to use our firm as your representative in a lawsuit. Should you retain our firm, we will be happy to assume all financial responsibility for preparing your case for trial in return for an agreed-upon percentage of the final settlement that we will win for you or negotiate on your behalf.

The Doan Law Firm:

4900 W. Expressway 83 #200

McAllen, TX 78501

Call (956) 415-0000

Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer

After an accident, the responsible party's insurance company may try to reduce the claim amount. Commonly, insurance adjusters are trained to get information from the injured to assist in reducing the claim. Though some insurers are less guilty of this practice than others, it is important to realize that insurance companies are profit-oriented corporations and reducing claims results in increased profits for shareholders. This can create a situation for the injured in which they are offered a settlement that does not truly reflect the damages suffered. If you accept this settlement, you lose the ability to get more money should your injuries require further medical treatments. It is critical that victims get legal assistance in any personal injury case, and The Doan Law Firm is prepared to fight relentlessly for your rights.

Send Your Information For A Free Case Evaluation Within 1 Hour

Send My Information