Austin Bicycle Accident Lawyer
100 Congress Avenue, Suite 2000
Austin, Texas 78701
Austin is a rapidly growing city in a favorable climate, and infrastructure for bicyclists is also growing with it. However, bike paths, bicycle lanes, and helmets aren't always enough to keep you safe. Even following bike laws to the T doesn't guarantee that you won't experience a bicycle injury.
If you do find yourself with a personal injury due to a bicycle accident, an experienced Austin Bicycle Accident Lawyer can help you get the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
Austin, TX Cyclists and Personal Injury
If you're injured by another party while riding your bicycle, this qualifies as a personal injury case. However, bicycle cases are different than most personal injury cases. The legal system, laws, and insurance companies are known for being heavily biased against cyclists. That's why it's important to have a personal injury lawyer who is experienced in defending cyclists in personal injury cases.
Most people can settle cases of personal injury out of court with the help of insurers and attorneys. However, if you don't believe you were at fault or if you feel you deserve more in compensation than what's being offered to you, litigation is certainly an option.
What To Expect
When you bring your case to a personal injury lawyer, he or she will evaluate the facts of the incident. You should expect your attorney to help you in every way should you choose to hire them. Some things you should expect from the attorney you hire:
How Much Will I Be Compensated?
- Participate in the accident investigation and work with police to determine what actually happened and who is at fault.
- Help you to get the fair market value for your bicycle so that you can get on the road again.
- Help you with any medical treatment or billing issues that arise.
- Actively protect you for insurance companies that would attempt to shortchange you.
- Help you file a lawsuit and go to trial if necessary.
There is no set answer to this question, as your amount of compensation depends on many factors: Your medical costs, the impact of the accident on your quality of life, punitive damages, and more.
Here are some common damages you could be compensated for:
- Medical Expenses: If you require medical care as a result of the accident, the judge will award you compensation for medical care expenses. This can also include being reimbursed for money you
- Pain and Suffering: This includes any pain, whether physical, mental, or emotional, that you suffer as a result of the accident. Bicycling accidents can cause short to long-term anxiety, fear, and other disturbances. Some states call this Emotional Distress, and include it under Pain and Suffering.
- Loss of Income: If you have lost income due to the accident, or if the accident will keep you from earning in the future, the judge may award you compensation for the lost income.
- Loss of Enjoyment: If the accident has significantly impacted your ability to engage in enjoyable activities like cycling, swimming, and other hobbies, you might be entitled to Loss of Enjoyment damages. Punitive damages: Punitive damages are meant more as a punishment for the at fault party.
What To Do If You've Been Injured
- If the court finds that the defendant was especially reckless and harmful, the judge may award you punitive damages as a way to "him them in the wallet."
The time immediately after a bicycle injury can be a very confusing, emotional time. However, if you believe you have a case for a personal injury case, it's important to contact an experienced Austin Bicycle Accident Lawyer as soon as possible. Your attorney can give you a clear idea of what will be needed to get the compensation you need. Call The Doan Law Firm at (512) 806-0000 to schedule a consultation.
Introducing The Doan Law Firm
Learn about what motivates Attorney Jimmy Doan.
Get to Know Jimmy Doan
Learn about Attorney Jimmy Doan's background and ...