Buffalo Injury Lawyer
50 Fountain Plaza, Suite 1400
Buffalo, New York 14202
Everyone has heard the expression “accidents happen.” While this can be true, it is also a fact that most accidents happen when someone is either careless or just doesn’t care what can happen to someone else or even to themselves. When an accident causes an injury to another person, the person who was responsible for the accident can be held responsible and forced to pay for the costs of the injured person’s medical care and a host of other expenses as well. The person who was injured is said to have sustained “personal injuries” and the costs that must be paid are collectively known “damages.”
A personal injury attorney will tell you personal injuries are not just physical injuries to the body. An injured person can legally claim, and collect, damages for the pain that they suffered while recovering from an accidental injury, lost income, damage to personal property, psychological distress, and the costs of replacing any personal property that was damaged or destroyed in the accident.
When a person is injured in an accident, the injured person usually presents a bill for their expenses to the person responsible for the accident. If the person responsible for the accident refuses to pay these expenses, that person can be sued by an accident lawyer and, if found to be responsible for the accident, ordered to pay the expenses plus the costs of the lawsuit and probably even more.
The Doan Law Firm Represents Those Injured In Accidents
The injury lawyer at the Doan Law Firm will represent clients and their families in all types of personal injury cases such as:
- Injuries from automobile, motorcycle, and bicycle accidents
- Injuries caused by defective airbags
- Wrongful death
- Slip and fall accidents caused by ice and snow
- Accidents involving railroads and on railroad rights of way
- Injuries that occur while riding in taxis, buses, ride-sharing vehicles, and for-hire limousines
- Accidents at public gathering such as concerts and sports events
- Drowning and near-drowning accidents
- Accidents that occur while using public parks
- Medical and other professional malpractice
- Reactions to prescription and over the counter (OTC) medications
- Defective products
- Brain injuries and spinal injuries with or without paralysis
The Statutes Of Limitations For Personal Injury Lawsuits
The State of New York places time limits on the filing of lawsuits for personal injuries. These limits are known as statutes of limitations and specify how long after an injury that a lawsuit can be filed.
- Personal injury: within 3 years from the date the injury
- Damage to personal property: within 3 years from the date of the damage
- Defective consumer products: within 3 years from the date the defect first became known
- Wrongful death: within 2 years from the date of death
- Medical malpractice: within 30 months (2½ years) from the date the act occurred. If a foreign body was left inside a patient, 1 year from the date the object was discovered or should have been discovered. These rules apply to adults only. The statutes of limitations for children are somewhat different and should be discussed with an injury lawyer or medical malpractice attorney.
These statutes can change and should always be confirmed with an accident attorney who is familiar with the facts of your case.
Contact The Buffalo Injury Lawyer At The Doan Law Firm To Discuss Your Accident
The worst mistake that anyone who has been injured in an accident can make is to try to negotiate their own settlement. Although they may be confidant that they do not need an accident attorney, their self-confidence will be just what an insurance adjuster needs to negotiate a settlement that is far less than what the injured person’s claim was actually worth.
Before trying to negotiate a settlement on your own, or signing an insurance release, contact the Buffalo accident lawyer at the Doan Law Firm to schedule a review of your case and the proposed settlement. You will most likely find that you are legally entitled to far more than you realize.
When you contact the Buffalo injury lawyer at the Doan Law Firm at (800) 349-0000 your initial consultation is always free and you are in no way obligated to our firm. If you decide to have us represent you in your personal injury case, we will never charge you an up-front fee. We will take responsibility for all expenses related to your case and accept an agreed upon percentage of your final settlement as payment for our fees and expenses.
Boston University Professor Killed in Apartment Building Elevator AccidentView Article
Houston Federation of Teachers Headquarters Sustains Significant Damage in Gas ExplosionView Article
Aged and Improperly Installed Natural Gas Pipelines Across United States Jeopardize Homes, Business, and LivesView Article
Introducing The Doan Law Firm
Learn about what motivates Attorney Jimmy Doan.
Get to Know Jimmy Doan
Learn about Attorney Jimmy Doan's background and ...