Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
The choice to have your loved one live in a nursing home can be a difficult one, and you want to have faith in those who are tasked with caring for him or her. Unfortunately, the negligent or abusive actions of some working on staff at nursing homes can cause more than strife in your family. This is why we feel it is important for families to be able to pursue compensation on behalf of victims of nursing home abuse.
Nursing home abuse creates a financial burden for the family of a loved one living in the facility. Negligence and abuse can lead to permanent impairments that may lead to higher health care costs. Additionally, you likely want to find a new home for your loved one. This is why hiring a lawyer can be beneficial for you and your family during this difficult time.
First, a personal injury attorney will help you prove that the errors made by nursing home staff have led to injuries and financial damages for your loved one. As you know, doctors and nurses are required to take all measures necessary to ensure that patients are safe. While many medical professionals do their best to keep residents and patients comfortable and safe, there are many nursing home staff members who do not. Those who fail to secure your loved ones should be held responsible.
Examples of Nursing Home Abuse
- Your loved one was not being monitored properly, leading to a fall or debilitating illness.
- Your loved one was assaulted, physically, mentally, financially, or sexually, by another patient or member of the nursing home staff.
- Your loved one did not receive medication or food as needed.
- Your loved one was deprived of treatment that would have led to better quality of life.
- Lack of communication between staff members, resulting in problems that lead to over-medication or under-medication.
- Medical professionals deliver a delayed or bad diagnosis of a health condition. This may lead to failed treatment for a condition that may worsen or have severe side effects.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Unfortunately, there are many side effects of nursing home abuse that your family may not be able to spot right away. Here are a few types of abuse you need to be aware of:
- Physical Abuse - Physical abuse is often in the form of beating, hitting, pinching, or pushing. In some cases, nursing home staff members have purposefully burned their patients with hot water during bathing sessions. Look for signs of physical abuse when you visit, including bruising and flinching when you come close.
- Emotional Abuse - Emotional abuse often comes hand in hand with other types of abuse on this list, and it is typically used to silence the victim. Threats of violence or taunting can cause severe problems.
- Sexual Abuse - Just as sexual assault occurs throughout the world, it is not uncommon to find it in nursing homes as well. Sexually transmitted diseases, bruises, and fear are common side effects of sexual abuse in nursing homes.
- Financial Abuse - Many of those who live in nursing homes rely on those around them to meet their needs. This means that a nursing home may have access to funds your loved one needs to purchase groceries, clothing, and other items. In some cases, staff members have used this financial access to their advantage.
As lawyers invested in your journey, we want to make the process of recouping financial losses as simple as possible. We want you to be able to move your loved one to a safe place as soon as possible, and we work toward putting your family unit back to normal in any way possible. In addition to getting law enforcement involved, your loved one also has the right to pursue financial damages.
Increasing Nursing Home Abuse Cases
One of the most terrible things about nursing home abuse is that the victim often suffers in silence, not alerting anybody to the fact that they need help quickly. Unfortunately, all too many people are unaware of the abuse until it has resulted in severe injury or even death.
With such a large number of nursing homes popping up, it is apparent that the population of those who require assisted care is growing. Generally, we place our trust in these home. When that trust is violated, it is essential that you get in touch with a reputable lawyer like those at the Doan Law Firm, P.C.
Are you seeking help following nursing home abuse? At the Doan Law Firm, P.C., we offer a free case evaluation. Give us a call any time of the day or night with your question. We are ready to fight for you and your loved one, and we fight aggressively.
Introducing The Doan Law Firm
Learn about what motivates Attorney Jimmy Doan.
Get to Know Jimmy Doan
Learn about Attorney Jimmy Doan's background and ...