Defective Products Lawyers
Each year there are countless thousands of people that are injured by defective products. These products, despite consumer protection laws that are in place, enter the market and cause harm. Sadly, there are also many deaths associated with defective products.
Consumers purchase products, allow medical equipment to be used on their bodies, or drive vehicles that they purchased under the assumption that they are safe. When it's found that these products are not safe, the consumer has the right to seek compensation for their injuries and losses under a product liability claim.
Types of Product Liability Claims
There are three categories in which a person can file a product liability claim:
- Design Defect. This type of claim shows that the initial design of the product was defective. This effect should have been discovered before the product went into manufacturing.
- Manufacturing Defect. This type of claim shows that the actual manufacturing process is what is causing the product to be defective and injure people.
- Advertising or Instructional Defect. This type of defect indicates that the company who produced the product is advertising the product incorrectly and people are being injured, or the instructions to use the product are incorrect and are causing harm.
These types of liability claims can be applied to any type of consumer product.
Common Products Involve In Product Liability Cases
While any product can be subjected to a product liability claim, there are some types of products that have more claims associated with them than other products. Some of these products include:
- Beauty Products
- Children’s Toys
- Automotive Parts
- Medical Devices
- Kitchen Appliances (Small)
However, any product that causes harm to a consumer due to one of the above stated defects can be subject to a product liability lawsuit.
Dangerous Product Statistics
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is a government agency that tracks defective and dangerous consumer products. According to their 2013 report on consumer safety:
- Over $1 trillion in damages occur each year due to defective consumer products. This total includes injuries, deaths and property damage costs.
- Between 2008 and 2013, the CPSC was involved in recalling over 473 products due to their hazardous nature which amounted to over 116 million items.
- Fires due to faulty kitchen equipment caused over $20 billion in damages and took over 2,000 lives in a three period that the CPSC documented in 2009-2011.
- The most common defect n children’s toys are high levels of lead or phosphorous which leads to sickness, followed closely by choking hazards.
- Faulty vehicle equipment and medical devices have become a leading cause of injuries among consumers.
What To Do If You Are Injured By A Defective Product
If you have been injured by a defective consumer product, there are certain steps that you should take to protect your rights as an injury victim. These steps include:
- Seek Medical Care. Stabilizing your health and caring for your injuries is your first priority. If you have been injured, seek immediate medical care. If your injury is a result of faulty medical equipment, seek medical care to have the issue corrected.
- Document The Injury. You will want to document your injury and the event leading to that injury as much as possible. Take pictures of the defective product. Take pictures of the surrounding area if the injury also caused physical damage to your home or car. Take pictures of your injuries. If the injury was related to a medical device that you cannot physically see, document everything that led up to you knowing that you were being injured by the product and everything you can think about the injury itself.
- Store The Product. You will want to place the product in its current condition into a container so that it is not affected in any way. You want to be able to present the evidence of the defective product. So not use the product again and do not alter, repair, or otherwise change the product that harmed you. Not having the actual product that caused harm, or altering it in any way can make it impossible for you to make a claim for compensation.
- Speak To A Product Liability Attorney. You have specific rights under the law to seek damages for your injuries and losses from a defective product. Consult an attorney that handles product liability cases.
We Are Here To Help
The Doan Law Firm aggressively represents their clients that have been injured by a defective product. We understand the frustration that our clients feel when their entire lives have been changed because of an injury due to a defect in an item they purchased to use.
We offer a free consultation to evaluate your case and explain your rights as an injured consumer. Our office can be reached 24/7, and there is always someone available to answer your questions. Contact us today to see how we can help you.
We know that your life changed when you were injured. We are here to help you seek the compensation you deserve for your injuries so that you can bring your life back into order again.
Boston University Professor Killed in Apartment Building Elevator AccidentView Article
Houston Federation of Teachers Headquarters Sustains Significant Damage in Gas ExplosionView Article
Aged and Improperly Installed Natural Gas Pipelines Across United States Jeopardize Homes, Business, and LivesView Article
Introducing The Doan Law Firm
Learn about what motivates Attorney Jimmy Doan.
Get to Know Jimmy Doan
Learn about Attorney Jimmy Doan's background and ...