Key Crane Accident Statistics
Your Legal Rights After a Crane Accident Injury
Fact: Crane accidents are on the rise in the United States. The stark reality is that crane accidents are expected to continue to rise as the number of construction projects across the United States increase. If you’ve been injured in this type of accident, if you’ve lost a beloved family member in a crane accident, the experienced, caring legal team at The Doan Law Firm is here for you. You can connect with a crane accident lawyer from our firm by calling us at (800) 349-0000.
Alarming Crane Accident Facts
There are some basic and yet highly alarming facts about crane accidents in the United States that you need to understand. We share some of this data here with you to underscore the inherent danger presented by cranes and the parties responsible for this equipment.
- An almost incomprehensive 90 percent of all crane accidents are the result of some type of human error. What this translates into is the fact that nearly all crane accidents could have been completely avoided in the first instance. In other words, most people injured in crane accidents did not need to be injured. Most people killed in crane accidents did not need to die.
- 80 percent of all crane upsets or tip-overs occur because an operator is exceeding the equipment’s operational capacity.
- Technically speaking, 54 percent of all crane upsets or crane tip-overs occur as the result of the boom being swung or a lift of some type undertaken without the outriggers fully extended. In other words, the crane is not properly grounded.
- A full 45 percent of crane accidents involve electrocution. This is the result of the crane itself contacting a power source while in operation. While a crane operator typically is the victim of an electrocution, others have been injured and killed as the result of crane accident-related electrocution.
- 40 percent of crane accident victims are injured or killed because they are struck by an object. An example of this type of oftentimes catastrophic accident is a person being hit by an uncontrolled hoisted crane load or an individual being hit by a part of the crane itself.
- On average, about half of all crane accidents in the United States result in death.
Common Causes of Crane Accidents in the United States
A breakdown of the most commonplace causes of crane accidents across the country is illustrative of the dangers associated with this type of equipment.
- Electrical shock – 25 percent of crane accidents
- Worker falling from crane – 22 percent of crane accidents
- Worker struck by crane load – 22 percent of crane accidents
- Worker caught between or struck by crane equipment – 13 percent of crane accidents
- Crane tip-over – 9 percent of crane accidents
- Worker crushed during crane assemble or disassembly – 7 percent of crane accidents
- Boom or cable malfunction or failure – 6 percent of crane accidents
- Worker struck by some associated object (not crane itself or crane load) – 6 percent
Facts About Catastrophic Crane Collapses or Tip-Overs
There are few calamities more horrific than a crane collapse or tip-over. A crane collapse has the potential for injuring a large number of people. Because of the nature of a crane collapse, injury victims can include not only people at the worksite but members of the general public who happened to be near the construction area when the ungodly incident occurred.
A crane collapse has the potential for causing truly catastrophic injuries to victims. More often than not, a crane collapse results in fatal injuries.
A Doan Law Firm Crane Accident Lawyer on Your Side
If you have suffered injuries from a crane accident, or if a family member has been killed in a crane accident, The Doan Law Firm is here for you. You can reach our firm and schedule an appointment with an experienced crane accident lawyer at (800) 349-0000 any time. There is never a charge for an initial consultation and case evaluation with a Doan Law Firm crane accident lawyer.
The Doan Law Firm makes an attorney fee guarantee to you. We will never charge an attorney fee in your case unless we win for you. We are committed to fight tirelessly for justice, accountability, and the compensation you deserve in your case.
Introducing The Doan Law Firm
Learn about what motivates Attorney Jimmy Doan.
Get to Know Jimmy Doan
Learn about Attorney Jimmy Doan's background and ...