Fraternity Alcohol Abuse Lawyer
Serving Fraternity Hazing Victims Nationwide
Alcohol abuse is one of the most common forms of hazing in college fraternities, athletic programs, marching bands and other social groups. Pressure to consume large amounts of alcohol can lead to huge medical bills, grievous injuries and even death. The increased pressure of social groups is used to force initiates to drink too much alcohol and be goaded into participating in rituals that go against their individual beliefs. Alcohol plays a key role in a variety of hazing rituals. Any requirement to consume alcohol is considered hazing even if it doesn’t lead to alcohol poisoning or injury. The following scenarios represent a few types of alcohol hazing.
- Drinking as an implicit or explicit condition for admission to a social group
- Coercion to consume alcohol under duress or in a casual setting
- Pressure to participate in drinking games or ritualized drinking
Emotional and psychological trauma aren’t the only injuries linked to alcohol abuse. Hazing is a serious issue that can contribute to a variety of dangerous consequences.
- Individuals who are subjected to alcohol hazing are more likely to experience adjunct injuries related to sexual abuse or alcohol poisoning.
- Fraternity members often fail to request medical assistance because they fear the consequences or because they are not familiar with the symptoms of alcohol poisoning.
- The effects of consuming large amounts of alcohol can be deadly if the person passes out, stops breathing or chokes due to impaired reflexes and brain function.
- Individuals who have consumed dangerous quantities of alcohol may experience memory loss or irreversible brain damage.
There is no acceptable defense in cases where alcohol consumption led to mental, emotional or physical injuries. While attorneys at The Doan Law Firm focus on handling civil cases, these incidents may also lead to criminal charges. Nearly all states have anti-hazing laws that criminalize these activities. Fraternity members and school administrators must be held responsible for their actions or for their failure to act.
At The Doan Law Firm, we are dedicated to protecting the rights of families and individuals who were harmed due to ritualistic alcohol hazing. We handle a large number of these cases across the nation and will offer aggressive and compassionate representation to you. Call us directly at (800) 349-0000. Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, and we offer free consultations. You won’t pay unless we win your case.
Introducing The Doan Law Firm
Learn about what motivates Attorney Jimmy Doan.
Get to Know Jimmy Doan
Learn about Attorney Jimmy Doan's background and ...