An Overview of Motorcycle Accidents at Intersections
Accident Lawyer Serving Nationwide
The most common motorcycle accidents usually occur at road intersections. Every driver who passes through an intersection is required to obey traffic signs and be on the lookout for other motorists. Motorcycles are at a high risk when passing through intersections because they are often involved in accidents caused by drivers of small vehicles and trucks.
Intersection Accident Personal Injury Claims
Accidents at intersections can cause serious personal injuries to the motorcyclist. Most of the scenarios that lead to these accidents include:
- When the driver of a passenger vehicle refuses to provide right of way
- While trying to pass before the red light, the passenger vehicle driver speeds past an intersection
- The motorcyclist stops at an intersection and goes unnoticed by the driver of the passenger vehicle
- A head on collision occurring between the passenger vehicle driver and motorcyclist because of lack of visibility- motorcycles are small and passenger vehicle drivers often have difficulty seeing the motorcyclist. There are instances where the driver of the passenger vehicle fails to see the motorcyclist because they were driving while under the influence of alcohol or any intoxicating substance.
Injuries in an Intersection Motorcycle Accident
Most intersection collision accidents feature a side impact. In most cases, the front of the personal vehicle will hit the side of the other vehicle. The side of a vehicle does not protect the passengers of a vehicle as much as the front or rear of a vehicle which crumples during an accident. Furthermore, the front of vehicles has safety balloons that pop out when the driver is involved in an accident. The sides of vehicles do not have the ability to absorb an impact or crumple. If the impact takes place near the door, the passenger or drive in the car involved in the accident can sustain serious injuries. These injuries include spinal cord injury which includes quadriplegia or paraplegia, brain injury, serious leg and lower body fractures.
Statistics on Intersection Accidents
A report by the administration on highway traffic safety shows that, most accidents involving motorcycles take place at road intersections. Statistics also show that three motorcyclists die every day following accidents at road intersections. Most of these accidents are between a vehicle and motor cycle. In most cases, the accident is caused by the driver of the vehicle. Most motorcycle intersection accident take place because of the failure of the other driver to yield to the motorcyclist. In another study, it was found that most intersection crashes occurred off highways. It is therefore important for motorists to be keen on intersection safety while approaching intersections off of highways.
According to another report made in 2009 by the Institute for Highway Safety's Highway Loss Data Institute, 42 percent of intersection accidents took place when a vehicle moving ahead of a motorcycle, turned left. In these accidents, the motorcyclist was passing the vehicle, driving straight or overtaking when the accident occurred.
Motorcycle accidents at intersections can also be caused by the driver of a motorcyclist, if they are over speeding, careless or driving under the influence.
Intersection Safety Tips
Vehicle drivers and motorcyclists are required to exercise caution while driving at intersections. Both drivers should look at both ways at least twice before they drive through an intersection. It is important that drivers be very careful with approaching vehicles. Motorcyclists are advised to drive defensively. This means that, a motorcyclist who drives with the assumption that they cannot be seen by the other driver is likely to be keen on practicing intersection safety than one who does not.
Other safety tips that a motorcyclist should practice include:
- Paying attention to motorists who may unexpectedly appear out of driveways or side streets
- Anticipate that motorists who are driving out of driveways or turning will not see them
- Slow down when their vision is distracted by parked vehicles, shrubbery, buildings or any other obstructions.
- Ensure the motorcycle is visible by keeping away from a motorist's blind spots
- When riding at intersections, the motorcyclist should avoid riding between vehicles
- Allow passenger vehicles through an intersection first, because they have better visibility
- Wear bright colors like neon, white or yellow to increase visibility on the road and particularly at intersections
Liability in a Motorcycle Intersection Accident
Liability in motorcycle intersection accidents is determined by negligence. A driver is negligent if they behave in a careless and thoughtless manner that causes another person to be injured. In most intersection accidents, the drive of a passenger vehicle or truck is negligent. They are either negligent when they speed past a red light or by failing to check the road before rushing to make a left turn.
There are four main elements in a negligence claim. The person making the claim has to show that:
- The defendant was required by law to exercise reasonable care.
- The defendant did not exercise reasonable care. The law determines whether a driver did not exercise reasonable care by comparing their actions with the actions of a reasonable person facing the same scenario.
- The conduct of the defendant was the main cause of the plaintiff's injuries
- The plaintiff sustained injuries or suffered losses. If a motorcyclist cannot prove any losses or did not suffer injuries, they cannot get compensated even though the defendant caused the accident.
If you are a victim of a motorcycle accident, your first instinct should be to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer. Since most of these accidents are caused by the driver of the passenger car, you ought to make a claim against them. The Doan Law Firm is renowned for helping victims of motorcycle accidents. We shall review your case and advice you on what your options are. Being involved in a motorcycle accident can be a traumatic experience and in most cases, the victims are not able to open up to others. We take the time to offer moral support to our clients and their family throughout the case. You can reach us anytime of the day all through the week with your inquiries. If you have sustained injuries, you can be certain that we shall assist you in claiming compensation. In case you are not financially prepared for a legal claim, you do not need to worry. You only have to pay us when we win the case and not any time sooner. Get in touch with us through phone and let us answer your questions for free. Our customer service officials will ensure that all your questions are answered and that you have no doubt when making a personal injury claim. Do not allow your anxiety about court cases or uncertainty about the liability of a case get in the way of justice. Contact Doan Law Firm and let us get you a fair settlement and put your case to rest while you comfortably recover from your injuries.
Introducing The Doan Law Firm
Learn about what motivates Attorney Jimmy Doan.
Get to Know Jimmy Doan
Learn about Attorney Jimmy Doan's background and ...