As warner months become a reality across the United States, and as more Americans become vaccinated against COVID-19, construction projects of all types are expected to accelerate. As a consequence, a companion increase in the construction accident rate will occur as well. With that in mind, there is no better time than the present to consider some important construction accident statistics.
Fatal Construction Accident Facts
Statistics associated with fatal construction accidents in the United States are grim.
- 20 percent of all worker deaths in the United States arise out of construction accidents, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- A total of 1,061 construction workers died in 2019, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics
- The worker death rate in the construction industry is the fourth highest of any industry in the country
The construction industry has christened the most commonplace types of fatal construction accidents the “Fatal Four.” According to OSHA, these are:
- Struck by equipment
- Caught between equipment, materials, or something else
Construction Accident Wrongful Death Legal Rights
If you’ve lost a family member as the result of a construction accident wrongful death, the legal team at The Doan Law Firm is available to answer your questions and protect your important legal rights. You can reach our firm any time of the day or night by calling us at (800) 349-0000.
A nationwide law firm, we’ve offices located from coast to coast across the country. We can schedule an appointment with you at any one of our offices, at your home, or any location that is convenient for you. We can also arrange a virtual consultation with a construction accident lawyer online as well. There is never a charge for an initial consultation and case evaluation with a Doan Law Firm construction accident lawyer.
Nonfatal Construction Accidents
In addition to deadly construction accidents, thousands of workers are injured every year at work sites. Data regarding construction accidents resulting in injuries is shocking:
- During the year the latest set of complete statistics is available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, almost 196,000 cases involving construction injuries occurred
- The construction accident injury rate 71 percent higher than the average rate found in all other industries, according to the National Institute of Health.
- Every year, nearly 2 percent of all construction workers experience an injury that requires them to miss work
- Almost 9 percent of all workplace injuries that result in lost days of work arise from construction accidents
In addition to these statistics, it is important to note that over 25 percent of workers injured in a construction accident fail to report an injury. This occurs for a number of reasons, including they fear losing money if not able to work.
Legal Rights Following a Construction Accident Injury
If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident, you must fully understand your legal rights. A construction accident lawyer from The Doan Law Firm is available to answer your questions and provide you an evaluation of your claim. You can connect with our firm 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year by calling (800) 349-0000. As mentioned previously there is never a charge for an initial consultation with and case evaluation by a Doan Law Firm construction accident attorney.
When considering your situation following a construction accident, understanding the extent of losses associated with worker injuries may be helpful to you. Fatal construction accidents result in costs of approximately $5 billion annually. These include:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Lost income for surviving family members
- Reduced quality of life for surviving family members
According to the National Institutes of Health, the total costs associated with all construction injures in the United States amounts to approximately $11 billion each year. The average medical expense of a construction accident injury is $42,000. 60 percent of construction accident injuries occur within a crewmember’s first year of work.
The Doan Law Firm makes an attorney fee guarantee to you. Our firm will never charge an attorney fee in your case unless we win for you. We are committed to fighting tirelessly for justice and the compensation you deserve.